Last updated on April 21st, 2023
Find out the complete Kyushu travel guide and itinerary with the best things to do from northern to southern Kyushu. We spend an amazing time in Kyushu and here is our Kyushu travelogue including Fukuoka, Kumamoto, Oita, Miyazaki, and more.
Here is our Kyushu travel guide with best things to do, best food to do, and best place to stay, that separate by prefecture and region:
For a quick idea on how to plan for your Kyushu itinerary, here is the ultimate travel guide to guide you on interesting things to do in Kyushu. Most importantly, how to getting around and some money-saving tips.
For a complete list of Kyushu travel info:
Added, we also have a separate travel blog to guide you with Kyushu SunQ Pass itinerary by traveling in central and southern Kyushu by using the bus in more detail. Places covered with SunQ Pass are Kumamoto, Mount Aso, Kurokawa Onsen, Takachiho Gorge, Miyazaki, and Beppu.
Alternatively, please refer to our Fukuoka itinerary by using JR Pass traveling around Northern Kyushu with Fukuoka as a great base.
For quick access, feel free to check on below travel blog:
- Fukuoka Itinerary – Where To Stay in Fukuoka (Hakata or Tenjin) – Fukuoka Food Guide
- Kumamoto Itinerary – Best Hotel – Kumamoto Food Guide
- Kurokawa Onsen Guide – Best Ryokan Pick – Kurokawa Onsen Hopping
- Yufuin Itinerary – Where To Stay in Yufuin – Yufuin Must Eat
- Beppu Itinerary – Where To Stay in Beppu – Oita Food Guide
- Miyazaki Itinerary – Where To Stay – Miyazaki Food Guide
- Takachiho Gorge Itinerary – How To Get To Takachiho Gorge
- Mt. Aso | Sasebo | Kitakyushu
Kyushu Transportation Guide
Public transport is one of the budget way when visiting Kyushu Japan. However, there is something that you need to know when traveling in Kyushu by bus and train. Below useful transport tips will help you save a lot of effort and money.
Here are the useful Kyushu Transport Guide to make a reservation for train and bus:
- Tips For JR Kyushu Pass Seat Reservation Online and Onsite
- How to make reservation on Kyushu Odan Bus
- How to reserve highway bus ticket in Kyushu Japan
Detail explanation on easy travel from Fukuoka Airport to downtown city and other places:
Fukuoka (福岡) is the biggest and busiest city in the Kyushu region. It is also a great base to plan for a day trip to nearby attractions, starting and end your Kyushu trip. Added, Fukuoka also the birthday to Hakata ramen, motsunabe, and mizutaki delicacy. Make sure to sample those local cuisines in Fukuoka when visiting Fukuoka.
Day Trip From Fukuoka:
- Dazaifu Itinerary: Easy Day Trip From Fukuoka To Dazaifu
- [Nagasaki] Sasebo Itinerary: Kujukushima Sightseeing Cruise
- [Kitakyushu] 1-Day Kitakyushu Itinerary To Shimonoseki, Mojiko, Kokura
- [Kitakyushu] Karato Market: Sushi Battle Event in Shimonoseki
The Complete Lists of Fukuoka Food Guide for the best food to eat in Fukuoka.
- Fukuoka Food Guide: Best Must Eat Food in Fukuoka
- Best Fukuoka Breakfast: Where To Eat Breakfast in Fukuoka
- Hakata Motsunabe Ooyama: Fukuoka Must Eat Food
- Hakata Showraku: Motsunabe For Solo Traveler
- Tanya Hakata: Breakfast with Beef Tongue in Fukuoka
- Hakata Hanamidori Mizutaki: Fukuoka Best Chicken Delicacy
For Fukuoka Best Ramen:
- Top 6 Must-Try Best Fukuoka Ramen (Where To Eat)
- Hakata Issou: Local Favorite Best Ramen in Fukuoka
- Hakata Ikkousha Fukuoka: Must Eat Ramen Shop
Kumamoto – Aso – Kurokawa Onsen
The Kumamoto (熊本) is one of the must-visit places in Kyushu Japan. Plan your visit to explore the Kumamoto city, Aso, and Kurokawa Onsen.
Kumamoto city (熊本市, Kumamoto-shi) with what to do and eat during our visit.
Kumamoto Food Guide:
- Kumamoto Food Guide: What To Eat in Kumamoto
- Suganoya Kumamoto: Must Try Food in Kumamoto
- Katsuretsutei Kumamoto: Best Tonkatsu Ever
Aso (阿蘇) is known as nature sightseeing. Mount Aso (阿蘇山, Asosan) is the largest active volcano in Japan and worth spending time to get closer to the volcano activities.
- Aso Travel Guide: How To Get There and Visiting Attraction Around
- Things To Do in Aso For 1-Day Aso Itinerary
Located at the northern foot of the Mount Aso, Kurokawa Onsen (黒川温泉) is the most popular hot spring spot in Kyushu. It boasted by numerous open-air baths and high quality of natural hot spring water. Many visitors are coming all the way to experience their authentic natural onsen bath in Kurokawa onsen.
- Kurokawa Onsen: A Guide To Natural Hot Spring Town
- Onsen Hopping in Kurokawa Onsen
- Yamamizuki Onsen Hopping: Access and Visit Information
- Where To Stay in Kurokawa Onsen
- Ryokan Ikoi: Best Stay in Kurokawa Onsen
Miyazaki – Takachiho Gorge
An amazing tropical city in Southern Kyushu, Miyazaki (宮崎) worth spending one or two days to slowly discover. It is ideal to plan on Miyazaki itinerary for an excellent day trip and visit the popular attractions along the Nichinan coastline.
- Miyazaki Itinerary: What to do and eat in Miyazaki
- Aoshima Island with Devil’s Dashboard and Aoshima Shrine
- Udo Shrine: A Stunning Shrine at Seaside Cliff
- Sunmesse Nichinan With Moai Statues
- Where To Stay in Miyazaki: Best Places and Hotel
Miyazaki Food Guide for best local specialties in Miyazaki:
- Miyazaki Food Guide: What To Eat in Miyazaki
- Tsukada Nojo Miyazaki: Best Food To Eat in Miyazaki
- Nichinan Best Food: Bonito Fish in Multiple Way
Takachiho Gorge (高千穂峡) is the most popular geological attraction and must-visit in the Kyushu region. Many locals and travelers from many countries coming to mesmerized this stunning natural wonder. Difficult to reach by public transport. Please read on my Takachiho Gorge travel guide, itinerary, things to do and transport arrangement to this dramatic columnar rock formations.
- Takachiho Gorge Travel Guide: 1-Day Itinerary Blog
- How To Get To Takachiho Gorge From Kumamoto, Miyazaki, Fukuoka
- What To Eat in Takachiho Gorge: Nagashi Somen
Oita – Beppu – Yufuin – Kokonoe
Located in Oita Prefecture, there are many attractions and things to do and see when visiting here. We plan our time visiting Beppu, Yufuin, and Kononoe Yume Otsurihashi and had a great time here.
Beppu (別府), one of the famous onsen towns in Kyushu Japan. My Beppu itinerary and food hunting tour in this amazing hot spring town as below:
- Beppu Itinerary: Ultimate Travel Guide Blog
- Where to Stay in Beppu [Best Hotels and Ryokans]
- Nogami Honkan Ryokan: Beppu Best Budget Stay
- Umi Jigoku Beppu: Beautiful Blue Color Hot Spring Pond
- Chinoike Jigoku: Reddish Bloody Pond in Beppu
Yufuin (由布院/湯布院) is a renowned onsen town in Oita prefecture and famous for its unique charm. There are many boutiques, art museums, antique toy, restaurants, and shops can easily spend your time discovering.
Half-Day Trip to Kononoe Yume Otsurihashi (九重”夢”大吊橋). It is Japan’s Highest Pedestrian Suspension Bridge.
Oita, Beppu, Yufuin Food Guide: