Last updated on December 3rd, 2022
If you’re not sure yet why you need to use a VPN while traveling, we’ve got all the information that you need to know. Read more about traveling with VPN in our comprehensive guide.
Traveling with a VPN is becoming common. When you’re planning for spending some time traveling around, there’s a high chance there’ll be some need to access the internet while traveling. It can be as simple as checking a few emails, posting on social media, booking flights and accommodation, or even watching TV when you are resting at a hotel abroad. It is important to be aware of your safety online. Fortunately, there’s a solution.
In this quick and simple VPN guide, I’ll share with you all the useful information on how to use a VPN while traveling. I’ll also run through all the essentials on getting the VPN and tips/advice on whether to grab the best VPN to use when traveling!
Traveling with VPN: Everything you need to Know
Ready to travel around with a VPN? The VPN could be your new best travel companion!
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a network that is made available to customers by a VPN provider. When using a VPN service, a connection is first made with a (secure) VPN server. This server then connects to the World Wide Web. Because of this intermediate step, your data are no longer directly shared online. This is a benefit because all data traffic from the VPN server is encrypted. So if an internet criminal should succeed in intercepting your data traffic, they will be unable to read the data, because these are encrypted.
Here is what you need to know when you start using a VPN while traveling:
- Why Using VPN while Traveling
- How To Choose the Best VPN for Travel
- What is the Best VPN for Traveling
- How To use VPN when Traveling
- What is the Benefit for using VPN for Travel
- Final Tips on using VPN while Traveling
Why Using VPN while Traveling?
The VPN gives you a ton of freedom and flexibility for travelling. But, you’re probably asking yourself: Why you need a VPN while traveling? Here’s a quick rundown of the reasons to use a VPN while traveling.
Online Privacy: Nowadays, everyone travels using a smartphone, tablet, or even laptop to check for attractions nearby, food to eat, and most importantly navigation when abroad. That means that we are connected with private or public free Wifi when we’re abroad. Technology makes traveling easier but at the same time open to some serious risks.
Internet Safety: Cybersecurity is one of the major concerns. Hackers may steal your password for criminal activities if you are using public internet networks abroad. VPN servers prevent hackers from stealing your personal information as it is encrypted.
Access to Social Media and websites: Some countries, particularly Asian countries such as China, South Korea, Vietnam, and Thailand will not able to access certain websites and apps due to government censoring. For example, the Great Firewall has blocked major services in China, such as Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and many more. You can use a VPN to select your home country and you’ll then be able to access the website with ease while traveling in China.
Watch TV while traveling: Watching TV might not be a need when you are traveling. But if you are planning a long vacation abroad, sometimes access to TV shows from your home country might still be a good idea. VPN will allow you to access them regardless of geolocation.
We particularly recommend NordVPN and have used NordVPN when traveling. We found it completely reliable during my travels through China, Vietnam, Japan, South Korea, and beyond!
How To Choose the Best VPN for Travel?
With so many different VPN providers and plans, it’s not all that easy to figure out which one’s best for your needs.
Below we outline the criteria you might need from your VPN when choosing the best VPN for travel.
- Works in as many countries as possible – A wide server network with servers in major countries for accessing various international geo-blocked streaming services. This is very useful when traveling abroad.
- Simultaneous connections – Look for a VPN service that lets you connect several devices at the same time. This is very useful if you have several devices or want to share your subscription with family or friends when traveling.
- Speed – Without great speeds, using a VPN will only be a hassle. All the VPNs we listed offer fantastic speeds to users without any lags.
- Security – One should always opt for a VPN that offers advanced security features to users.
- Customer Support – VPN providers should have trustworthy customer service available 24/7 so all the users can get in touch with them at any time of the day even abroad!
- User Friendly – The VPN shall easy to install and use.
- Compatibility – The VPN shall compatible with almost every popular operating system, including easy-to-use apps for all devices such as Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Chrome.
- Pricing – It’s a super-affordable VPN service and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
What is the Best VPN for Traveling?
Numerous VPN provider is offering the service, and most are reliable. For the most effortless experience, we recommend choosing a VPN provider that has platform compatibility, reliable speeds, a good choice of servers, and availability in as many countries as possible.
Here are some suggested companies you can check out to get started:
- ExpressVPN – Most premium but slightly expensive.
- NordVPN – Most secure and best in overall.
- SurfShark – Cheaper and best for those who have a strict budget.
Editor Pick: We recommend NordVPN because they have always been extremely reliable, optimized streaming servers, and have fast speeds. This popular VPN should definitely take into considerations. Check for their latest features and promotion from NordVPN!
+ Supports ALL devices
+ Fast servers (3000+)
+ Unblocks Netflix in the USA
+ Torrenting and P2P are allowed
+ No IP leaks or DNS leaks found
+ Simple and easy to use
– More expensive than its chief rivals
Get the ExpressVPN as low as $8.32/mo.
+ Fast servers (5,500+)
+ Torrenting/P2P allowed
+ Works with Netflix
+ Strict no logging policy
+ Easy to use VPN apps
+ No IP/DNS leaks found
– Discounts for longer subscriptions
Get the NordVPN as low as $3.69/mo.
+ Strict no-logging policy
+ Unlimited device connection
+ Plays Netflix
+ Secure system
+ Good addons like Ad-Blocker
– Average speeds
Get the Surfshark VPN as low as $2.49/mo.
Pro Tips: Expect to pay anywhere from $3-10 USD per month of a reputable VPN service. Usually, you can sign up for an annual plan to save beween 50-75% off the regular price. That’s a great deal!
How To use VPN when Traveling?
It’s so simple for using a VPN. Just follow below a few simple steps.
- Sign up for one of the VPNs recommended above before traveling. (We recommended NordVPN)
- Download the VPN app for your device from the provider’s website.
- Connect to the internet and start up your VPN.
- Choose and select a server in a country you’d like to use.
- Hit the Connect button. Wait a few moments for the connection to establish, and that’s it!
Your IP address is hidden and data is encrypted once connected to VPN.
What is the Benefit for using VPN for Travel?
Using a VPN can also help you save money when booking hotels and flights. This is a small trick that prices especially flight tickets may fluctuate depending on where you’re booking from. For example, booking a Japan air ticket from Japan is cheaper than if you’re located in Japan. This can be done by tricking the airline website by using VPN.
Access websites blocked in other countries
You can access websites blocked in other countries by using VPN. For example, China has placed numerous restrictions on accessing the Internet and it even prevents using social media, email, streaming sites, etc. Many travelers will tend to use VPNs in China to access websites that are currently blocked in the country.
Lastly, you can also use a VPN to secure access to banking websites to perform online activities or transactions. For example, sometimes you may need to perform online bank transactions abroad. This is common that the banking website will block access if it detects this IP address is from another country. Using a VPN with an assigned local IP address will able to let you access the website.
Final Tips on using VPN while Traveling
Last but not least, here are a few quick things you ought to know about the VPN:
Yes, we highly recommend it! VPN servers prevent hackers from stealing your personal information and provide unrestricted access to a wide range of streaming content and services. You’ll be protected when connected abroad!
Yes, you can get a VPN for free but this is not adviseable. Most free VPNs will have many limitations such as data limit, injecting advertisements, and may sell your data to third parties to gain profit.
Overall: Best Travel VPN
All in all, we hope our simple guide to the best travel VPN helps you to make the right decision. It’s a cheap way to take the necessary precautions to protect yourself online when traveling. For travelers who plan to travel abroad, then make sure you grab yourself the best VPN on your way there.
We recommend getting ExpressVPN and NordVPN as both are the best VPN to use while traveling. Taking these simple steps will help you greatly reduce the risk of jeopardizing your traveling experience. Enjoy your trip risk-free!